Skip to main content

My CV



Sarah (Lulu) Robertson


A highly motivated, confident and outgoing person with a thorough knowledge and understanding of waste management and recycling.  An innovative individual with a creative mind and good organisational skills.  A dynamic team leader with excellent negotiation and communication skills.   A confident leader and a reliable team player, with a flexible manner.  An excellent manager of both employees and projects that thrives on an ever-changing environment.

Skills Base:
  • Full Member of the Chartered Institute of Waste Management
  • Associate Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment
  • NEBOSH General Certificate
  • Computer literate – All Microsoft Office Programmes; Contender; Photoshop

HIGHER EDUCATION
MSc Monitoring, Modelling and Management of Environmental Change
King’s College, London                                                                      2000 – 2002


  • GIS & Remote Sensing
  • Modelling Environmental Change (computer-based)
  • Monitoring Environmental Change
  • Techniques for Environmental Management


BSc (Hons) Applied Biology (2.1)
Liverpool John Moores University                                                      1995 - 1999


  • Behavioural Ecology
  • Perspectives in Applied Ecology
  •  Habitat Conservation
  • Wildlife Conservation Management


RELEVANT EXPERIENCE 
I have worked in a variety of business development and sales roles including key account management. I have valuable experience in different areas of business development – from answering pre-qualification questionnaires through to the coordination and writing of tenders. I have worked on both sides of contract management and mobilisation.  I am able to write business and project plans, I have experience in running large and small-scale projects and working within their associated budgets. I am experienced in the promotion and marketing of innovative ideas and services.  I am an excellent networker and enjoy public speaking.  I am a good communicator and have great listening skills too.  I am eager to gain knowledge and experience in all areas.  I have excellent people management skills and understand the need for a good team and the affect morale can have on individuals and a company.  I enjoy working on my own, creating my own work profile, but also within a well-oiled team environment. I am a motivated individual who enjoys a challenge.  I can readily adapt to change, am hardworking, reliable and am used to working to tight deadlines.  My qualifications have taught me the value of clear and concise work and how to analyse different forms of data and present it informatively. 




EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Business Development Manager                     
Orion Support Services                                                             October 2011 – present
  • ·       New business sales for “daily waste”– bags, bins, compactors
  • ·       New business sales for construction – bins, skips and wait-and-load services
  • ·       New business sales for cleaning – office cleaning
  • ·       Account Management for new customers
  • ·       Marketing – website, social media, networking, eNewsletters, DocMail


Business Manager – Commercial Waste
City of London Corporation                                                May 2009 – October 2011
  • Managing the Commercial Waste Team at the well-renowned Corporation of London
  • Day to day management of the back office team and procedures
  • Systems Administration of the waste management software “Contender”
  • Customer service and relationship management

Waste Manager
Royal Borough of Kingston                                                January 2009 – May 2009
  • Contract Manager at Local Authority looking after a waste collection contract – tendered to Veolia Environmental Services

General Manager
RWR (Commercial) Limited                                                June 2008 – October 2008
  • General Manager at a Hazardous Waste Treatment Facility: day-to-day management of the operation and members of staff (15)
  • Overseeing of management of at a further handling facility in the East Midlands
  • Business development: tender processes, acquisition of material and company marketing and promotion

Business Development & Compliance Manager
Express Recycling & Plastics Limited                                   January 2007 – June 2008
  • Site Management: overseeing of site’s daily operations and circa 45 staff
  • Account Management and Development: working with current suppliers to deliver the required material and increase their tonnage
  • Sales: new business – I increased the tonnage from 75 to 500 tonnes per month
  • Business Development: Promotion, marketing, presentations, press releases,  web design,
  • Compliance with current legislation (health and safety; environmental) and ISO 9001; 14001 and 18001
Environmental Business Advisor
Groundwork Kent Thames-side                                           January 2006 – December 2006

Key Accounts Manager (South East)
MITIE Waste & Environmental                                    June 2004 – January 2006

Business Development Coordinator
Veolia Environmental Services                                    July 2003 – June 2004

Environmental Business Advisor
Business Eco Network                                              August 2002 – July 2003


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Monday 2024 - Memories of Dad

You’ve heard of sleeping policeman. Well my dad was the cooking policeman. Growing up I was so proud to have a dad that was a policeman. His job always sounded so cool and exciting.  Then there was his ability to follow a recipe (the same one time and time again).  He made an amazing macaroni cheese (the best), shepherds pie, lamb curry (from scratch) and oh my goodness the Devil’s food cake - four storeys of ultimate chocolate cake! I loved to be able to talk about the fact that he was born in India. That he was brought up in South Africa. That he had a three-legged cheetah as a pet.  Stories of sat on a wall eating mangoes with monkeys   Dad was also a knitter - having learnt from his grandma.  And I can remember our loop cardigans and the waistcoats he knitted.   Duchess, our dog, brought home after night shift. The fish tanks and trips to all of those aquatic centres   Being a South African, he loved his tech. He always had the newest gadget (oh that satellite dish) and a cool car

January’s got the Blues

Seven years ago I watched as January allowed pancreatic cancer to steal my mum’s zest for life.     Over the course of the first three months of 2017 we lost my mum slowly.     And painfully. Gracefully, and peacefully.   Cancer, COPD, mental illness and dementia have gradually, over a much longer period, eroded the man that my dad once was. In some cases he has become a happier, more fun-loving grandad than he was a father, but in another he is just the husk of the man that could fix ANYTHING. A technology-loving, recipe-following, policeman. January 2024 bears witness to another parent’s dwindling life as I see the fear in his eyes. Yet I am pleased that he still remembers who I am, my name. I hate the sadness and pain in everyone’s face, the tears in their eyes. I hate, even more, the pleading for help, knowing he would rather be, and should be allowed to be, at peace.  New year. New grief. Constant reminder that the world keeps turning and time keeps on ticking.  

LuluSLR: What depression means to me (first published in July 2014)

As a teenager we lived next door to a lady with depression.   She and her husband were lovely people, they would always stop and chat, but sometimes she would retreat and we wouldn't see her for months. Instead we would only see Ernie on his daily walk. Then suddenly she would be back beside him with long hair (Gladys always had short hair). I didn't really take much notice but can remember my mum commenting about Gladys and her long hair meaning she had been depressed.   Now, looking back, I can see how they were connected. How Glady wouldn't want to leave the house and thus her hair would grow and she would look unkempt when she did reappear. I get it now. Growing up depression wasn't really something I knew much about. I know members of my family have suffered with it but it just kind of passed me by. After all we all have sad days or  short periods. Well that's what I thought. Just get on with it. Keep smiling.   However my short periods would get longer