Skip to main content

100 Sad Days: Day 50: The End

This blog has been on and off for two years and mainly in the off position whilst I struggle with my mental health. Below is a short poem I wrote in May 2014:

I want to go to sleep and not wake up
Of what's on offer I have had enough
I don't want to pass away nor give up the fight
I am not losing the battle I'm finding the light
There seems very little to keep me here
Walk towards the light without any fear
I won't be missed: at least not for long 
You can laugh and smile; life does go on 
Wear bright colours don't wear black
Always look forward; don't look back
I will be waiting and watching over you
Always remember that I loved you. 

Recent events and my continuing counselling often get me thinking about suicide. One question I am asked often is if I have suicidal thoughts. The sad fact about mental health is that, yes, I do. More often than I care to think about. I wonder how easy it would be to crash my car or step in from of that train. I think about putting myself in dangerous situations so that it isn't seen as intentional. I don't do it because I am more than that and I have my daughter - my very reason for life. 

I know, though, how I would do it. I can remember being told how to kill yourself quickly by cutting your artery in your leg (the femoral)?  Or by slicing upwards not across your wrist. Any other way is a mere cry for help.  

I know of people taking overdoses as another call for assistance. 

I would want to make sure it was done properly. That my plan couldn't fail. That it was seen as a positive step into a new phase and not a lack of strength to go on. Letters would be written and my funeral planned. I wouldn't want anyone to find me, not anyone I love anyway. Just slip away; unnoticed. 

This blog isn't intended as a suicide note or a call for help. It is to raise awareness of what goes on inside the mind of someone like me; a sufferer of mental illness. The constant self doubt and thoughts to remove yourself. To make things better for everyone else. I know suicide isn't the way forward and I know I love my daughter far too much to ever hurt her in that way. 

Peace out x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Monday 2024 - Memories of Dad

You’ve heard of sleeping policeman. Well my dad was the cooking policeman. Growing up I was so proud to have a dad that was a policeman. His job always sounded so cool and exciting.  Then there was his ability to follow a recipe (the same one time and time again).  He made an amazing macaroni cheese (the best), shepherds pie, lamb curry (from scratch) and oh my goodness the Devil’s food cake - four storeys of ultimate chocolate cake! I loved to be able to talk about the fact that he was born in India. That he was brought up in South Africa. That he had a three-legged cheetah as a pet.  Stories of sat on a wall eating mangoes with monkeys   Dad was also a knitter - having learnt from his grandma.  And I can remember our loop cardigans and the waistcoats he knitted.   Duchess, our dog, brought home after night shift. The fish tanks and trips to all of those aquatic centres   Being a South African, he loved his tech. He always had the newest gadget (oh that satellite dish) and a cool car

January’s got the Blues

Seven years ago I watched as January allowed pancreatic cancer to steal my mum’s zest for life.     Over the course of the first three months of 2017 we lost my mum slowly.     And painfully. Gracefully, and peacefully.   Cancer, COPD, mental illness and dementia have gradually, over a much longer period, eroded the man that my dad once was. In some cases he has become a happier, more fun-loving grandad than he was a father, but in another he is just the husk of the man that could fix ANYTHING. A technology-loving, recipe-following, policeman. January 2024 bears witness to another parent’s dwindling life as I see the fear in his eyes. Yet I am pleased that he still remembers who I am, my name. I hate the sadness and pain in everyone’s face, the tears in their eyes. I hate, even more, the pleading for help, knowing he would rather be, and should be allowed to be, at peace.  New year. New grief. Constant reminder that the world keeps turning and time keeps on ticking.  

LuluSLR: What depression means to me (first published in July 2014)

As a teenager we lived next door to a lady with depression.   She and her husband were lovely people, they would always stop and chat, but sometimes she would retreat and we wouldn't see her for months. Instead we would only see Ernie on his daily walk. Then suddenly she would be back beside him with long hair (Gladys always had short hair). I didn't really take much notice but can remember my mum commenting about Gladys and her long hair meaning she had been depressed.   Now, looking back, I can see how they were connected. How Glady wouldn't want to leave the house and thus her hair would grow and she would look unkempt when she did reappear. I get it now. Growing up depression wasn't really something I knew much about. I know members of my family have suffered with it but it just kind of passed me by. After all we all have sad days or  short periods. Well that's what I thought. Just get on with it. Keep smiling.   However my short periods would get longer