Skip to main content

100 Sad Days; Day 40: Not The Way of Love

In Paul's first letter to the Corinthians he spoke of love and nowadays we hear those words read at weddings.

My experience of love has shown me a different way.  It isn't that I "have not love" it is just that I have no experience of the love that he speaks about.

Love isn't patient it rings and rings, if there is no answer it rings again.  Love is 16 missed calls
Love isn't kind it is cruel and full of harsh words.  Spite and venom.
Love does envy.  It is a green eyed monster.  It is jealous of all that it once held dear.  And yet some times it does not envy and it seems to not even care.
It does boast; love is full of selfish pride.
Love is arrogant, pretentious, conceited, pompous, insolent.
Love is rude. Ill-tempered.  Short-fused.
Love has only one way and it isn't mine
Love is irritable.
And worst of all, love is resentful, and full of regrets.
Love does rejoice at wrongdoing, it cares little about the truth. 
My Love continues to bear all things, believe all things, hope in all things and endure all things.
Love does end.  It isn't forever.  It bends and breaks.  It rusts and fails.  It falters.  It is chipped away until there is only dust.
However I know that faith, hope, and love abide, they are with me and that of these the greatest is love.
I have known love and I continue to.  Just like the girl with the curl: when it's good it's very very good; when it's bad it's horrid.
Love of one's own is different.  It is enduring and endless and bountiful and selfless and everything.  It makes the dark light and the wrong right.

Comments

  1. Hi Lulu, I'm not really sure what to write, as I've just happened across your blog through facebook links, but I didn't feel I could pass by without saying something. It's Nicola Borrett, if you remember me from Prendergast - no problem if you don't, but my abiding memories of you are two > hiding your bag one day (sorry about that!) and going to your house to work on a maths project. I just want to hold out a hand to you and say I am so impressed that you have chosen to write about your experiences in this way. Obviously I've only picked up on a few details from your blog, and I don't really know what has happened these last twenty years, but I just want you to know that I will be praying for you this week (October) - you may remember I was the mad religious one at school? well nothing has changed there and right now it's all I can offer you. God is Love... that's what is described in Corinthians and I believe it with all my heart. x (You can track me down through Sylvia on facebook, if you like)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Monday 2024 - Memories of Dad

You’ve heard of sleeping policeman. Well my dad was the cooking policeman. Growing up I was so proud to have a dad that was a policeman. His job always sounded so cool and exciting.  Then there was his ability to follow a recipe (the same one time and time again).  He made an amazing macaroni cheese (the best), shepherds pie, lamb curry (from scratch) and oh my goodness the Devil’s food cake - four storeys of ultimate chocolate cake! I loved to be able to talk about the fact that he was born in India. That he was brought up in South Africa. That he had a three-legged cheetah as a pet.  Stories of sat on a wall eating mangoes with monkeys   Dad was also a knitter - having learnt from his grandma.  And I can remember our loop cardigans and the waistcoats he knitted.   Duchess, our dog, brought home after night shift. The fish tanks and trips to all of those aquatic centres   Being a South African, he loved his tech. He always had the newest gadget (oh that satellite dish) and a cool car

January’s got the Blues

Seven years ago I watched as January allowed pancreatic cancer to steal my mum’s zest for life.     Over the course of the first three months of 2017 we lost my mum slowly.     And painfully. Gracefully, and peacefully.   Cancer, COPD, mental illness and dementia have gradually, over a much longer period, eroded the man that my dad once was. In some cases he has become a happier, more fun-loving grandad than he was a father, but in another he is just the husk of the man that could fix ANYTHING. A technology-loving, recipe-following, policeman. January 2024 bears witness to another parent’s dwindling life as I see the fear in his eyes. Yet I am pleased that he still remembers who I am, my name. I hate the sadness and pain in everyone’s face, the tears in their eyes. I hate, even more, the pleading for help, knowing he would rather be, and should be allowed to be, at peace.  New year. New grief. Constant reminder that the world keeps turning and time keeps on ticking.  

LuluSLR: What depression means to me (first published in July 2014)

As a teenager we lived next door to a lady with depression.   She and her husband were lovely people, they would always stop and chat, but sometimes she would retreat and we wouldn't see her for months. Instead we would only see Ernie on his daily walk. Then suddenly she would be back beside him with long hair (Gladys always had short hair). I didn't really take much notice but can remember my mum commenting about Gladys and her long hair meaning she had been depressed.   Now, looking back, I can see how they were connected. How Glady wouldn't want to leave the house and thus her hair would grow and she would look unkempt when she did reappear. I get it now. Growing up depression wasn't really something I knew much about. I know members of my family have suffered with it but it just kind of passed me by. After all we all have sad days or  short periods. Well that's what I thought. Just get on with it. Keep smiling.   However my short periods would get longer